Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dinner (after bedtime)


This might sound a bit weird but, I make dinner after my girls have gone to bed.

Let me clarify.

I once heard somewhere that the hours between coming home after work and getting the kids in bed are referred to as the "bewitching hours." Sometimes, for me, it can become the "bitching hours" if I am more stressed than usual. After several (o.k.-more than several) unsuccessful attempts to remain calm, kind, and sweet during this trying period, I decided that I needed a change in plans if I were to raise my kids as emotionally stable children.

Hence my idea, that cooking dinner after the kids had gone to sleep might be a bit more relaxing and enjoyable, was born.

Now before you go thinking that my children go to bed hungry, they don't. They get the previous night's entree. At their age (6 and 3) they could care less (besides-it's a new meal to them). And as long as they are getting a stress-free (relatively) homemade meal, I am perfectly happy.

So, what did I make last night with all my free time? Actually, I opted for something simple. I bought purple cabbage over the weekend and decided to make a stir-fry with it yesterday.

This is a Kerala dish (which means that it will have coconut in some shape or form 95% of the time). It took about 30 minutes to prep and cook and I was even able to take a shower while it cooked! Not bad!!

I've always loved this dish because of its flavor combination. The cabbage is sliced very thin so the flavor of the cabbage is not overpoweringly intense. This combined with the coconut and chili makes for one yummy cabbage dish. I sometimes cook it for a bit longer than needed to get it a little browned which makes it even yummier!

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Purple cabbage stir-fry (thoren)


  • half-head of purple cabbage
  • 2 cups of grated unsweetened coconut (can be found in the freezer section of most Indian grocery stores; make sure you defrost!)
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds (black)
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp salt (adjust to preference; I like my food salty)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • oil
  1. Cut the half-head of cabbage into 2 equal chunks.
  2. Slice the cabbage as thinly as possible.
  3. Combine all ingredients except oil and mustard seeds.
  4. Pour enough oil to just coat the bottom of favorite stir-fry pan and put on heat. (I actually like to heat up my pan first and then pour the oil)
  5. Once oil has heated up (usually takes only a few minutes on medium heat), add mustard seeds and wait for them to start popping.
  6. Add the cabbage froms step 3 and stir well to mix in the oil.
  7. Cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. (Stir once or twice to make sure cabbage is not sticking to the bottomg of the pan)
  8. Serve as a side with rice, yogurt (plain), and mango pickle.

P.S. I will post a picture as soon as I find the USB cable!







No comments: